Ants marching along your counters can quickly ruin your appetite. When these ants invade, you need a solution that’s not only effective, but more friendly to your family and the environment. Check out how you can get rid of ants using green ingredients.
Why Ants Are in Your Home
It’s important to know why ants have invaded your space. This will make it easier to keep your house free of ants. Several things can attract ants to your home.
- Food: If ants can find a food source, they aren’t going to be quick to leave. Crumbs and spills attract ants. When an ant finds food, it releases pheromones that lead other ants to it. This results in trails of foraging ants walking through your house.
- Moisture: Water can entice ants to visit your home. Ants gravitate to areas with water build-up. Leaky pipes and faucets can be the cause of their arrival.
- Shelter: Ants also enter homes looking for shelter. Changes in weather can send ants inside. When things get too hot, too cold, or too wet, ants trade the great outdoors for your cozy home.
How to Prevent Ants in Your Home
Preventing an ant problem is always easier than trying to eliminate an infestation. Check out a few tips to keep ants away.
- Clean up crumbs and spills.
- Keep your sink free of dirty dishes.
- Repair or replace leaky pipes.
- Minimize moisture build-up in your home.
- Seal cracks and gaps to prevent ants from sneaking into your home.
- Repair or replace damaged screens and weather-stripping.
- Trim vegetation to ensure it’s not touching the side of your home.
Using Household Items to Get Rid of Ants
Some believe household items can help get rid of ants. Here are a few common do-it-yourself remedies.
- Artificial Sweetener & Apple Juice: Ants are attracted to sweet treats, which make it hard for them to avoid this mixture. Artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, are a lethal neurotoxin for ants.
- Powdered Sugar & Borax: Mixing powdered sugar and borax is one DIY solution. It can be messy, but borax is effective against ants. Instead of mixing this yourself, you can use ant baits that contain borax for a more convenient solution.
- Vinegar: This will help repel ants, but it won’t typically kill them. Vinegar can help to mask pheromone trails, making it harder for ants to find your home.
- Chalk Dust & Powder: Ants don’t enjoy walking through powdery materials like chalk dusk and powder. It interferes with their ability to follow scent trails. While this could keep ants out, the ants already in your home will just move to a different corner of the room.
- Coffee Grounds: Ants aren’t fans of the smell of coffee. Placing coffee grounds in your garden or around the perimeter of your house can temporarily deter ants. Unfortunately, the scent will only be potent for so long and ants will march into your home.
- Herbs, Spices, & Essential Oils: Some herbs and spices can discourage ants. However, sprinkling spices around your home isn’t really practical. Essential oils work well against pests when they’re correctly combined like in our plant-based insecticide sprays.
How to Get Rid of Ants Using Green Products
While the above options may help to deter ants, there are solutions that are more effective. Green pest control products can help to control ant problems while being more environmentally friendly. Our mineral-based No Spill Ant Kill and Ant Killer Bait can help eliminate an infestation. Baits don’t just take care of the ants you see, they also target the colony. Baits attract and kill ants. They are designed to allow ants to take the bait back to the colony. This helps to target the source of the infestation, leading to longer-lasting results.
You can also use green insecticide sprays. Our plant-based sprays contain natural plant essential oils as the active ingredients. Not only do they kill ants on contact, they also provide residual repellency. Our Ant & Roach Killer and Home Bug Spray can help to get rid of the ants crawling through your home.
You don’t have to let ants take over your space. If you’re dealing with an ant problem, we have your back! For a more environmentally and family-friendly solution, check out our Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective™ Pest Control products.