Gearing up for back to school? No need to add bed bugs to your back to school list!
College dorms are extremely prone to bed bug infestations due to tight living spaces. Bed bugs can easily travel between rooms and buildings, and they make the worst roommates! They easily slip through cracks/crevices in the walls or floor, as well as go unnoticed when they hitch rides on clothing or backpacks. Fortunately, there is no shortage of protective tips and tricks to help you avoid an itchy situation.
Bed Bug Prevention Tips:
- Inspect your room from top to bottom on move-in day. Be sure to search near and around the bed, as well as inside electrical wall plates and along floorboards for any physical signs of bed bugs. Look for live bed bugs, rusty or reddish stains on bed sheets or mattresses, dark pinhead-sized spots, tiny bed bug eggs or eggshells, and pale, yellow skins that the nymphs shed as they grow larger.
- Thoroughly inspect used furniture. Check any items found at consignment stores or on the side of the road for any signs of bed bugs, as described above.
- Wash any and all used clothing. Items from thrift or consignment stores should be washed in warm soapy water before wearing for the first time.
- Crack open your textbooks. Bed bugs are even capable of hitching rides from one place to the next via textbooks and books from the library.
- Don’t leave jackets, backpacks, or clothing on the floor. Hang up as many items as possible to reduce the chance of creating hiding places for unwanted guests.
- Keep your backpack and other belongings close to you. Whether on the bus, in class, the rec center, or any other public space, keep your belongings nearby.
If you suspect you have a bed bug infestation, don’t panic! Get educated and let us help. Check out our tutorial using Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective Bed Bug Killer so you can win the fight against bed bugs.
For scientifically-tested, effective pest control that is better for the environment, try Maggie’s Farm pest control products. Our promise is that our plant and mineral-based products are developed by scientists and seasoned pest control professionals to be the most effective family of green pest control products on the market. Find out why life’s better on the farm!