Sometimes pests, like ants and cockroaches, decide your home is the perfect vacation spot. When this happens, you need an effective and family-friendly solution. One natural ingredient used in pesticides is borax. We’ve gathered information about borax and what you need to know before using it around your children and pets.
What Is Borax?
Borax is a naturally occurring compound of boron, sodium, and oxygen. It is also referred to as sodium borate and sodium tetraborate decahydrate. Borax can take the form of a white powder or it can be found in a white crystallized state. In its mineral state, it is mined from the ground. Deposits also form when exposed to repeated evaporation. These deposits can then be refined through recrystallization.
Common Uses of Borax
Borax has been used in a variety of ways including as a preservative for food and cosmetics. Some cleaning products contain borax since it is known to help stop fungus, mold, and bacteria. Its ability to fight stains has resulted in its inclusion in laundry detergents. One of the most common uses is as an ingredient in pesticides. Some pesticides, like Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective No Spill Ant Kill and Ant Killer Bait, are formulated with borax. When consumed, borax disrupts the digestive system of pests like ants and cockroaches. This results in death within 24-48 hours, which gives the ant time to take the bait back to the colony. This will help to eliminate the source of the infestation and provide you with longer lasting results. Borax also is abrasive and can weaken a pest’s exoskeleton.
Using It around Children & Pets
With any product, it is important to consider how it will affect the health of your family. Borax is a toxic substance, which is why it is an effective pest solution. However, it is important to remember a person or animal’s size in relation to the amount of borax consumed. Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective No Spill Ant Kill and Ant Killer Bait contain a low amount of borax. While it is enough to be fatal to pests, it has very low toxicity for humans and pets. Placing the bait in areas inaccessible to your children and furry family members is recommended to avoid accidental consumption of bait. If they ingest the bait, monitor them and contact their doctor or veterinarian. Whenever using a pesticide in your home, you should always read and follow the directions on the label.
Dealing with uninvited pests in your home is never fun. The last thing you should have to worry about is whether the solution poses a threat to your family. That’s why Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective Pest Control products are designed to not only be effective, but also family and environmentally friendly.