Ticks prefer to hang out in areas with plenty of vegetation and where they are given the opportunity to find a host. Your yard could be the perfect place for them to live. Taking the time to bug-proof your space can help keep these pests away. Check out a few tips to prevent ticks from invading your yard.
1. Trim Lawn & Vegetation
Ticks like to hide in dense vegetation and tall grass. Taking care of your lawn and vegetation is a great way to keep ticks away.
- Mow your lawn regularly to keep grass short.
- Remove ground cover and prune plants and bushes to minimize potential hiding spots for ticks.
- Ticks prefer shady areas, so you’ll want to trim tree branches to allow more sunlight into your yard.
2. Minimize Shelter
Though ticks like grass, it’s not the only place these pests will hang out. You’ll want to keep your yard clean and remove items that provide ticks with shelter.
- Remove leaves, grass clippings, twigs, and other yard debris.
- Pick up trash. It could attract animals that ticks use as hosts.
- Don’t store stacks of wood close to your home. It’s best to place woodpiles several feet from your house and in dry, sunny locations.
3. Create Barriers
Ticks don’t want to walk on hot and rough surfaces. Adding physical barriers can help keep these pests from bothering you.
- Add gravel or woodchips to your yard to separate wooded areas from your lawn.
- You can also create a barrier around gardens, patios, and the perimeter of your yard.
- Placing a fence around your yard can help keep animal hosts out. This can help to prevent them from bringing ticks into your space.
4. Minimize Moisture
Ticks are attracted to wet areas. When possible, minimize damp spots in your yard.
- When watering plants, be sure you don’t overwater them. Not only will this help minimize moisture, it will also be better for your plants.
- Remove items in your yard where water collects including old flowerpots and wheelbarrows.
- Repair or replace leaking hoses or spigots.
5. Use a Plant-Based Insecticide Spray
Spraying your yard with a plant-based insecticide spray can help prevent ticks. Our Mosquito & Tick Killer kills ticks on contact and provides residual repellency. This acts as a protective barrier helping to deter pests. Be sure to spray your lawn and dense vegetation. Don’t forget to spray under decks since ticks like to hang out there.
To keep ticks from moving in, make sure your yard is as unwelcoming as possible. If ticks have invaded your space, we have your back! For a more environmentally and family-friendly solution, check out our Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective™ Pest Control products.