Mosquitoes are notorious for crashing your outdoor activities. Female mosquitoes are attracted to you, which can lead to itchy red bumps. Thankfully, there are things you can do to keep mosquitoes away. We’ve made a list of tips to keep your yard free of mosquitoes.
1. Minimize Moisture
Mosquitoes thrive near water and it’s one of their main attractants. Female mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water. To keep mosquitoes out of your yard, minimize moisture build-up.
- Keep your gutters clean.
- Repair any leaky hoses or spigots.
- Remove items that collect water including unused flowerpots and toys.
- If you have a pool, ensure water doesn’t build on the cover. Keep your pool clean and make sure the water is circulating to deter mosquitoes.
- Check for areas in your yard where water isn’t draining.
2. Clean Your Yard
Eliminating potential hiding spots is key to preventing mosquitoes. These pests like shady areas where they can escape the sun.
- Regularly mow your lawn to keep grass short.
- Trim bushes, plants, and tree branches.
- Remove piles of leaves and grass clippings.
- Don’t keep piles of wood or branches in your yard.
3. Protect Your Patio & Deck
Many outdoor activities take place on your deck or patio. If mosquitoes are bugging you, there are things you can do to protect this space.
- Enclose your deck and patio. Mosquito screens can be placed around the space to keep mosquitoes out.
- You can also install an outdoor fan. Mosquitoes struggle to fly against the wind, which will make it harder for them to reach you.
- Spraying the area with a plant-based Mosquito Fogger can help to kill and repel these pests.
4. Plant Bug-Repelling Plants
Some plants have scents that naturally repel bugs. Planting these in your yard can help deter mosquito activity. You can add them to your garden or have a few containers near your patio or deck. Check out a few plants that can help repel mosquitoes.
5. Create a Protective Barrier
When plant essential oils are combined correctly, they can help control mosquitoes. You can spray your yard with our plant-based Mosquito & Tick Killer or our Yard Bug Spray. They kill mosquitoes and other pests on contact, while providing you with residual repellency. These repellent properties act as a barrier helping to keep mosquitoes out of your yard. Don’t forget to spray near vegetation where mosquitoes like to hide.
Your backyard is the perfect place for mosquitoes to hide. Taking the time to bug-proof your space can help keep these pesky bugs away. If mosquitoes are bugging you, we’re here to help! Check out our Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective™ Pest Control products for a more environmentally and family-friendly solution.