Nobody wants mosquitoes crashing their fun, but these pests don’t always get the hint. A mosquito infestation can be hard to control once it breaks out, which is why you want to prevent their arrival. Check out a few tips to keep mosquitoes from bugging you.
Mosquitoes thrive in warm and humid environments. They become active when temperatures are above 50°F, but they prefer temperatures above 70°F. These pests live near sources of moisture and dense vegetation. Female mosquitoes lay eggs in stagnant water. They only need about ½ʺ of water. These pests can lay nearly 400 eggs at one time, which can lead to large infestations. That’s why it’s important to know how to prevent an infestation.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes
Removing potential mosquito attractants is the best way to avoid an infestation. Here are some measures you can take to keep these pests at bay.
- Keep Vegetation Trimmed: Mow your lawn regularly and keep your plants trimmed. Mosquitoes hide in shady, humid areas including tall grass and overgrown vegetation. Trimming these will reduce the number of places mosquitoes can hide.
- Remove Stagnant Water: Mosquitoes love to hang around and breed in stagnant water. Minimize the accumulation of water around your house as much as possible. Empty water out of old tires, buckets, planters, and other spots where rainwater may collect. Keep the water fresh in kiddie pools, birdbaths, and pet dishes.
- Keep Items Covered: Ensure areas where water can gather are well covered. This will help to prevent standing water from congregating where mosquitoes can breed. Cover your pool and hot tub.
- Repair Your Screens: Make sure screens on doors and windows are in good repair. If you notice tears, repair or replace them. This will help keep mosquitoes out of your home.
- Keep Your Gutters Clean: Gutters can provide mosquitoes with additional areas where water can collect. Keeping them clean will help to deter mosquitoes.
How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes
The above preventative measures will help to get rid of mosquitoes. They will be less likely to stick around if they don’t have water and shelter. However, you may need to use mosquito control products to eliminate an infestation. Spraying your yard with a plant-based insecticide spray, like our Mosquito & Tick Killer, can help keep mosquitoes away. It kills these pests on contact and provides residual repellency. You can also use our Mosquito Fogger to spot treat around decks and patios.
Bug-proofing your yard is the first step to preventing a mosquito problem. When these pests invade, you need a simple and effective solution. If mosquitoes are bugging you, we have your back! For a more environmentally and family-friendly solution, check out our Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective™ Pest Control products.