Pests have a habit of taking over your yard and garden. These creepy crawlies can crash outdoor activities, damage your lawn, and even eat your plants. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to keep these bugs away. We’ve gathered information to help you keep your yard free of bugs.
Outdoor Bug Prevention
Preventing bugs in your yard will help keep them out of your house. The best way to do this is to make your yard unwelcoming. Check out a few tips to keep your outdoor space bug-free.
Keep Your Lawn & Landscaping Trimmed
Overgrown vegetation provides ideal hiding spots for many pests. Keeping your vegetation trimmed can help prevent bugs.
- Mow your lawn regularly.
- Remove weeds in your garden.
- Trim shrubs, plants, and bushes.
- Remove leaf litter and grass clutter from your yard.
- Trim tree and hedge branches at least one inch away from the side of your home.
- Clean up trash in your yard.
- Make sure your trash and recycling bins are covered and sealed.
- Empty and rinse recyclables before disposal.
- Keep trash bins away from areas where you grill and hang out in your yard.
Eliminate Standing Water
If you’re trying to reduce bug populations in your yard, you need to be mindful of standing water. Pests, like mosquitoes, are attracted to water, so minimizing moisture build-up is key to keeping them away.
- Repair or replace leaky pipes, spigots, or hoses.
- Unclog your rain gutters.
- Fill in areas of your yard where water pools.
- Change out the water in your birdbaths, kiddie pools, and pet dishes.
- Keep hot tub and pool covers free of water.
Keep Your Plants Healthy
Healthy plants are less susceptible to garden pests. Check out how you can ensure your plants are protected.
- Place plants in areas where they will receive enough sunlight and water.
- Place plants in healthy soil.
- Don’t overwater your plants.
- Remove damaged leaves and plants.
- Check for garden pests regularly.
- Use a plant-based 3-in-1 Garden Spray to help keep your plants safe from hungry bugs, mites, and garden diseases.
Plant Your Way to Being Bug Free
Plants can help deter bug activity. Some plant fragrances naturally repel pests. Incorporating these in your yard or garden can be beneficial. Here are a few plants that help repel bugs.
Try Earth-friendly Pest Control Products
Green pest control products can be extremely effective at killing and repelling bugs. Not only do pests dislike natural plant oils, these oils are lethal to bugs. Using plant-based insecticide sprays can help protect your home and yard from pests. Sprays, like our Yard Bug Spray, kill pests on contact and have repellent properties. Spraying your lawn can create a protective barrier that helps to deter pests. You can also use mineral-based baits when ants invade. Green pest control products are an effective and more environmentally and family-friendly solution.
How do you keep your yard and garden bug-free? We want to hear about it! Leave us a comment below!
For scientifically-tested, effective pest control in your yard, garden, and home that is friendly to the environment, try Maggie’s Farm pest control products. Our promise is that our plant and mineral-based products are developed by scientists and seasoned pest control professionals to be the most effective.