The last thing you want to worry about on your big day is uninvited guests. Unfortunately, pests have a habit of inviting themselves to your wedding. Thankfully, there are things you can do to keep bugs from crashing your outdoor wedding. We’ve made a list of four tips to help keep your wedding free of bugs.
1. Get the Space Ready
Choosing a venue is an important part of wedding planning. When you find the perfect spot, you’ll want to ensure you take steps to bug-proof it. Here are a few things you should do to get the space ready for the big day.
- Trim Vegetation: Make sure the vendor will keep vegetation trimmed and grass cut short. If the venue is your property, you’ll want to take time to clean up the space. Remove yard debris including leaves and grass clippings.
- Minimize Moisture: Ask your vendor about any concerning areas where water has collected on the property. If the venue has a pond or lake, it may be best to set up away from them. If you’re hosting a backyard wedding, check for and minimize moisture build-up.
- Create a Protective Barrier: Spraying your lawn with a plant-based insecticide spray can help keep pests away. Our Yard Bug Spray kills and repels pests. The residual properties act as a barrier helping to keep bugs out. If the venue isn’t your backyard, ask your vendor what they do to control pests.
2. Choose the Right Décor
Wedding decorations can transform a venue, but they can also help to keep your wedding bug-free. Check out a few décor options that will help deter pests.
- Flowers: Some plant fragrances drive bugs crazy. Incorporating these bug-repelling plants into your flower arrangements can help keep bugs away. Lavender, chrysanthemums, petunias, and marigolds are known to repel bugs.
- Candles: Candles are a great option for weddings. Some pests don’t like smoke and will avoid it. It may be best to use unscented candles since some pests are drawn to floral and sweet fragrances.
- Lights: Lights can be a great addition to weddings, but some bugs are attracted to them. Be careful when picking out your lights. Yellow light bulbs are less attractive to pests than white light bulbs.
3. Protect Your Food
Bugs, like ants, and flies, are attracted to food. Here are a few tips to keep pests from snacking on your wedding treats.
- Protect Your Food: Keeping your food covered as much as possible will help to deter pests. Consider placing food in an enclosed space. You can also go with a plated meal since this will minimize the amount of time food is exposed.
- Cover Your Drinks: Stinging insects are attracted to sugary drinks. You can use glasses with lids to avoid attracting pests. You’ll also want to use beverage dispensers instead of open pitchers.
- Use Fans: Bugs struggle to fly if it’s windy. Placing fans on a low setting near the buffet can prevent pests. You can also place these throughout the dining area to keep bugs away while you and your guests are eating.
4. Set Your Guests Up for Success
It’s important to let your guests know they will be spending time outside. Here are a few ways you and your guests can plan for the event.
- Choose Outfits Carefully: The right outfit can help minimize exposure to mosquitoes. When possible, it’s best to cover your skin. This will make it harder for mosquitoes to bite. Mosquitoes are drawn to darker colors, so opting for lighter shades is best.
- Avoid Strong Fragrances: Many bugs are attracted to strong fragrances. Floral and sweet fragrances can appeal to bugs because they remind them of their food sources. Avoid wearing strong scented colognes, perfumes, and lotions.
- Supply a Bug Spray: Plant-based bug sprays, like our Natural Insect Repellent, can help repel mosquitoes, ticks, and flies. Place bug sprays in baskets or areas where guests can easily access them.
No one wants bugs interrupting their big day. With a few preventative measures you can help ensure pests don’t bug you or your guests. If you’re dealing with a pest problem, we have your back! Check out our Maggie’s Farm Simply Effective™ Pest Control products for a more environmentally and family-friendly solution.